Tuesday, January 22, 2013

They just keep growing!

Yesterday Gemma folded a pile of towels, helped me make dinner, set the table (with glasses of water an all), cut up her own chicken, and then brushed her teeth before bed. What does she need me for anymore? David and I both praised her for all of her accomplishments , and we meant it, but I was secretly crying inside. No question I'm incredibly proud of her, but I'm not ready for her to grow up.   I had a conversation with her about this exact topic the other day.  It went like this...

Me: Gemma you're not allowed to grow up.
G:   But mom, I need to grow up and get bigger!
Me. No, I want you to stay little forever.
G:  Umm, can we talk about this?

She's already way more grown up than I would like.

Helping make dinner. 



Makael is also doing his fair share of growing.  We had a really hard time a couple of weeks ago.  Seriously, it was bad.  I thought my sweet boy had been replaced with a mean, rebellious, angry child.  He stopped eating, stopped taking naps, didn't want to be held, didn't want to be put down, and didn't want to watch Baby Einstein (which typically means something is NOT right). He was suffering through his third week with a cold/cough so I was trying to cut him some slack but after four days, I was starting to lose it.  Just when he was about to push me over the edge, I decided to check his gums to see if he was teething. Yep, all four molars were in! Well of course he's going to be hating the world...who wouldn't? Thankfully he's back to his normal self and four teeth richer.  

Growing teeth isn't the only thing he's been up to.  He has also decided to drop his nap. I had no idea how much I used his nap time to recharge and get through my day until it was gone. I've been working with him on "room time", but unlike his sister, it hasn't been such a seamless transition.  I knew Gemma was ready to drop her nap when she decided that her time was better spent talking instead of sleeping.  From then on, "nap time" was just renamed "room time".  She played, talked, and sometimes slept while I got a chance to do other things or just relax. She still has daily room time, and loves it. Makael...not so much.  In fact, he hates it.  We're working on it. 

Back to his happy self.

I argue he still needs a nap.








1 comment:

  1. I love your writing Audrey. You draw me into your day and into your heart. It feels as if the curtain of your life is opened up a little bit.

    But more than your writing, I love you. You have been such a positive impact in our family, thanks.

    Love,
    Pa Pa

    ReplyDelete