Monday, January 16, 2012

Oh Gemma

I don't even know what to say about Gemma besides that she's awesome. I've been somewhat scared of the "terrible 2s", but besides her little stint after Makael was born, she's been pretty great. The last few months have actually been my favorite with her so far. Watching her "pretend" play and have conversations with her toys is probably one of my favorite things right now, as well as the way she interacts with her friends...she seems so grown up at times. I find myself stopping to just watch her several times throughout the day. I love the way she hikes up her knees way too high as she runs, the way she concentrates while drawing, the way she "sings" to herself while she looks out the car window, and the way she manages to make a friend wherever we go. There's just so much cuteness to take in.

Last week I reserved her spot at preschool, and couldn't stop the tears from welling up when I got off the phone. I know she will do great and will absolutely love it. She'll for sure be the girl who excitedly runs off and instantly makes a friend, oblivious to the fact that her mom is standing at the doorway wanting a kiss goodbye and trying her hardest not to cry. I'm so thankful that's still a year and a half away!

Some days I wish I could just record everything she says. She has become quite the conversationalist. Some of my favorite recent one liners:
"I'm not funny mommy, I crazy"
"My outfit is so beautiful today"
" You're my best friend"
"I went potty in my pull up...you sad mom?"
"Oh my gosh!"
"That's a catholic church" (David and I still don't know where she learned that one)
"My brother is crying mom...make him stop"
"Don't cry baby Kael...I'm your best friend"
I could keep going...

I had my favorite 2012 moment with her! We made a chocolate cake together, and then sat on the kitchen floor and licked the bowl. It was so fun to share a moment with her and know she was enjoying it as much as I was, and as I watched her lick chocolate off her fingers I started thinking of things we'll get to start doing together as she gets older. We'll go on bike rides, bake cookies, watch "Anne of Green Gables"... To be honest, I have never been able to picture myself as a mother of kids older than the age of three. I could always imagine having a baby, but never a kid...until now :)
I don't know when I became such a sap.


She LOVES the ipad!



How dads wipe noses :)

5 comments:

  1. What the heck?! I don't even remember that.

    I love the quotes. So funny. One of my favorites recently was when I was taking Gemma out to the car. Gemma: She said ooooo snow! Me: Yeah it is white. Gemma: Yeah, I love black, I love brown, I love circles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lita (Grandma)1/22/2012

    "I love black, I love brown, I love circles." Not so disconnected if the snow had lightly fallen. She would have been looking at all the dark objects peeking through the snow. Makes a nice contrast. I guess ............just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lita (Grandma)1/31/2012

    In the video with Gemma and the iPad a roll of toilet paper is in center stage.

    I guess it is indicative of nose problems...hence the Dad-style of nose wiping.

    ReplyDelete