Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Potty training

I think the two hardest things I've had to deal with as a mother thus far are, 1. the beginning stages of nursing, and 2. potty training. We're on round two of trying to potty train, and I have to say, it's exhausting. I've heard that trying before two years old is too soon, but I wanted to give it a good go at it before the baby gets here. Plus, my niece Ariya is proof that it can be done. I'm pretty sure Gemma is perfectly capable of learning, I just don't know if I know what I'm doing well enough to teach her. Last Saturday was our first day, and it was pretty miserable. We both broke down in tears after Gemma peed on the floor and preceded to slip in it. We were a little more successful after her nap, which is what convinced me to even try it a second day. Day 2 and 3 seemed to go better, and then we hit day 4, which was basically a repeat of day 1. So frustrating! I decided to hold out and complete a whole week, and if I didn't see an improvement, I would just wait a few more months. Well, she got sick on day 5. Woke up running a fever and didn't want to do anything but be held or watch Dora. I still tried taking her to the potty when she woke up, and she went, but then refused her M&Ms for going. I decided to just give the poor girl a break and not worry about potty training for that day. Amazingly enough, she did fantastic. Even with her diaper on, she still told me when she had to go. Granted, she would tell me and then sit there watching Dora for 20 minutes, but she didn't have a single accident all day. The following day was just as great. Today (Friday) has been a little more challenging since she's feeling better and has lots of other things to distract her. All in all I think she's getting it. I'm not sure where she should be by now since I've never done this before, but I'm happy with the improvement. I'm so proud of her! We still haven't mastered going at home, so taking her to the bathroom when we are in public places is still not much of an option. Honestly I have no idea how to even begin doing that, but we'll continue to take it one day at a time. As long as she continues to improve, we're sticking with it. Keep us in your prayers :)


Doesn't she look like such a big girl?

2 comments:

  1. You said, I'm pretty sure Gemma is perfectly capable of learning, I just don't know if I know what I'm doing well enough to teach her. I see this humility in you as a wonderful trait that God has put in you as a Mom and is one of the reasons we all love your nickname, "the baby whisperer"!!! Because you have done such a great job with your daughter as well as others little children.

    I will be praying that God has made you enough to be a great Mom to your children and that potty training will go great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lita (Grandma)6/19/2011

    What a nice thing Scott said.

    ReplyDelete